Sunday 20 September 2009

Clinton Global initiative

Since the Clinton Foundation was set up they have held an annual conference with world leaders, business figures and NGOs. Its become a mini DAVOS , though with a particular theme of trying to bring governments, business and non profits together in tackling global issues. This year Is the 5th annual conference and I'm attending. You have to be invited so its quite an honour, especially as I am here representing the UK third sector.

It's a mark of how respected ACEVO is in the leadership role it plays on behalf of the Chief Execs of our sector. In fact I discover I am one of the few ngo leaders from europe. So a responsibilty to promote and project our sector and its achievements, and especially how we have developed a strong and productive relationship ith Government. The UK delegation includes Tony and Cherie Blair and Sarah Brown - I'm hoping to meet TB while I'm here.

The event lasts 4 days and there are a range of seminars and workshops with the most extraordinary line up of speakers. But the highlight I suspect, will be President Obama on Tuesday. Interestingly you get supported by a mentor while here and my mentor is to be Dr. Terry Babcock-Lumish. Her CV is interesting! President of Islay Consulting LLC, a certified minority and women-owned business enterprise (MWBE), formed in January 2005 She also serves as research fellow at the Rothermere American Institute and the Oxford University Centre for the Environment. She was on the President’s Council of Economic Advisers and on leaving the White House in 2001, she served as a researcher for two books by Al Gore. And there is also support offered by a distinguished Public Relations company- I'm going to a session with them as clearly my media skills are poor and I need more exposure !

This morning ( Sunday ) I was at the glorious St Thomas' 5th Ave , NYC's premier Episcopal Church, for Choral Eucharist; high church , BCP and proper choir ( boys from the choir school attached to the Church) . It was a magnificent service which I guess was why Kevin Rudd , the PM of Australia was there. Had a chat after with him and his wife Therese, about the growth of the third sector in Australia. They are developing a Compact and the sector there is heavily involved in service delivery. In the run up to their election I gave them advice on the core lessons from our own UK sector- particularly around core funding and longer term contracts. They were especially interested in developing a Futurebuilders type of organisation to promote capital growth for their non profits.

I can assure you , the Blogs this week will be vital reading!

No comments: