Saturday 17 May 2008

a saturday morning

It was scary. Waking up to the voice of Margaret Thatcher . The Today programme were playing an excerpt from her Sermon ( sorry, speech ) to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. Only someone of the monumental insensitivity of the Blessed Margaret would have delivered a talk on religion to the esteemed Elders of the Presbyterian establishment of Scotland . They were stunned. Perhaps the highlight was the re-interpretation of the parable of the Good Samaritan . Our Lord had apparently omitted to mention that the importance of this story was that the Samaritan could only perform his good deed because he was rich ! So good of Margaret to clarify that for us.Our Lord duly admonished. Gordon Brown is to address the Elders this morning . At least his Father was a Minister of the Kirk.I suspect he will be more warmly received.

I was so mesmerised by the story I nearly missed the Charlbury Evergreen's coffee morning and cake stall. You need to be up early to get the best cakes and I did not arrive till 9.30. Most cakes had gone but I managed to get the last walnut and fruit , and a pot of marmalade . Oh , and a white foxglove ( that's to plant not eat ).

My courtyard in the cottage is now looking fabulous. The first roses are out . I have a number of bourbon rose climbers. They are an old variety and the smell is enchanting.

I am afraid I have a confession . My Blog has been censored. One of my ever vigilant staff has spotted something I was not supposed to be writing about. So I had to agree to have it all removed. It's so Stalinist .It is as though I had never said it . I am now worried next time I blog I'll find my photo has been removed and I have become a non person . Mind you , they were right . I admit, " I have done those things which I ought not to have done , and there is no health in me " (Book of Common Prayer : General Confession ; but you knew that ...)

That's the trouble with CEOs . You just can't allow them out unsupervised. Its like the school kid , let out early from class , drunken in charge of an aerosol and busy spraying walls with graffiti.
So I'm sticking to safe subjects this morning .

No comments: