Saturday 13 November 2010

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi

What an amazing sight to see the pictures of Daw Suu released from her imprisonment and speaking to thousands of adoring Burmese. What a courageous woman.

Burma is an extraordinarily beautiful country. I have always been fascinated by the country since childhood;my Uncle was in the RAF and organised the wind down of the base there on Independence. I have visited on a number of occasions as guest of the Burmese Anglican Church, the last time for the consecration of the Archbishop of Burma in Rangoon.I tried to get a meeting ,indeed her grandmother was a Burmese Anglican but that was not possible , though I did manage to get a letter of support delivered. There will be huge joy amongst all the Burmese,not least the small but heroic Anglican community there.

Let's hope those leads to change in that wonderful country.let's remember there are still many political prisoners still incarcerated there.

No comments: