Wednesday 19 May 2010

Good News at The Charity Commission

Sitting on the 59 bus going over Waterloo Bridge and I get a call from the great Suzi Leather, Chair of The Charity Commission. She is phoning to tell me that they have appointed a new Chief Executive for the Commission - an excellent appointment it is too: Sam Younger.

I know Sam from the time he was Chief Executive of The Red Cross, before Nick Young. But he has an impressive track record. He was the founding Chair of The Electoral Commission and a previous Managing Director of BBC World Service. Most recently he has been interim CEO at Shelter before Campbell took over. And, not of course that this is relevant, but I knew him at Oxford; he is a year older than me and was at New College with a number of my good friends.

I wish Sam well. The Charity Commission has a really challenging task ahead as they face cuts in their budget but an expanding charity sector. Our ACEVO taskforce, looking at regulation in changing times, is currently drafting its report, so I will be looking forward to talking to Sam about all this.

Sam is taking up his post in September and we wish Andrew Hind well as he moves on to his next challenge.

No comments: